Desertserges National School
School Roll Number: 16863
The school is under the patronage of the Bishop
Find us using Loc8 Code: WQK-43-CB9
Find us or a school near you in the Diocese on this map.
Desertserges National School is a small co-educational Church of Ireland school in West Cork. Our earliest records show that the school first opened on 1st March 1890 with 24 pupils on the roll, 16 girls and 8 boys, their parents were farmers, a station master, a steward, a shopkeeper, a riveter and a miller. Children back then stayed in the primary school system till the age of 16. It is remarkable that 123 years later the same register books are still in use.
Desertserges National School is situated right beside St. Mary’s Church, located in the parish of Desertserges (An Díseart) on the River Bandon between Enniskeane, Bandon and Clonakilty. The area is named after a hermit monk called Serges, a man of great learning and knowledge who was affiliated with the Church of St. Colman in the 7th Century.
In our school, each child is viewed as an individual and their personal learning skills, abilities and talents are nurtured to the full, within a caring, happy and secure atmosphere, while developing respect and understanding for those and the world around them.
Our school promotes the on-going academic achievements of each child with particular emphasis on Music, Drama and Art. This year we have taken up debating. The pupils really enjoy singing, including at the annual Christmas carol service, the music concert and plays.
Being a small school, we can do the little extra things which make life more special. We have a Halloween Party, Santa comes at Christmas, pancakes are made on Shrove Tuesday and we have an Easter egg Hunt every Easter.
In recent years the school has prided itself on raising awareness and money for charities, by supporting Daffodil Day, The Cork Simon Community, UNICEF, Haiti and Childline.