Find us on the Worth a Visit – Tourist Map
The Cathedral Church of St. Fachtna in the beautiful West Cork town of Rosscarbery stands on a site where Christian worship has been offered for over 1400 years. Here St. Fachtna founded a monastic school in AD 590. Pilgrims and scholars came from near and far and gained for Ross the title “Ross Ailithir” – the wooded headland of the pilgrims.
The first reference to a Cathedral on this site is in the 12th. century. The present building dates from 1612 and was extensively rebuilt following the Rebellion of 1641. Significant developments occurred within the building in the nineteenth century.
The Cathedral is open daily (no admission charge) and there are explanatory leaflets and books available.
Parking is available at the Cathedral.
There is a wheelchair ramp at the West Door which can be opened by prior arrangement (contact: 023 8848166)