Find us on the Worth a Visit – Tourist Map
The parish church of St. Multose was erected circa 1190 by the Normans, probably on the site of
an earlier 6th century Celtic foundation. The church’s first documented mention is in the Decretal
Epistles of Pope Innocent 111 in 1199.
The church is constructed in the transitional Norman Early English style and is dedicated to St.
Multose who lived in the mid 6th century and is now Patron of Kinsale with a feast day on 11th
St. Multose is one of the oldest surviving churches in Ireland and while it’s fabric has been altered
many times over the centuries, it remains substantially the same in its lower portions as the
original Norman church.
There are some fine stained glass by the Irish artist Kate O’Brien. Stone funerary tablets date
from the early 1600’s are excellent examples of the stone cutter’s skill.
Here Charles II was proclaimed the rightful heir to the English Crown after the beheading of
At the 12th century font pause and think of all those who have received the waters of Baptism in
this place. One of many was a John Fenton who wrote the first Japanese National Anthem.
However, what most people refer to in the visitors book is the prayerfulness and peace.
The church is normally open from 9:30 to 5:30 each day.
A Guide Booklet is available in the church for which a donation of €3.00 is requested.
Parking is available in the public car park directly opposite.
Disabled access is available by request through the West Doors and there are toilet facilities
available in the church.