Healthcare Chaplain Cork University Hospital and Bon Secours Hospital since 2009
Healthcare Chaplain Marymount University Hospital and Hospice since 2011
Rural Dean of Cork City since 2002
Diocesan Ecumenical Officer since 2002
Member of the Committee for Christian Unity and Dialogue since 1998
Secretary of the Chaplaincy Accreditation Board www.cab.ireland.anglican.org
Executive Committee of the Irish Council of Churches
Chairperson, Church’s Ministry of Healing: Ireland
Member of the CTBI Writers’ Group for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
Telephone: (021) 454 6400 (ask for C of I Chaplain)
Email: click here
Ordained Deacon in the Church of St Peter, Bandon in 1999
Ordained Priest in St Fin Barre’s Cathedral, Cork in 2000
Education / Qualifications:
Registered General Nurse, 1994
The University of Dublin, Trinity College, B.Th, 1999
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) 2009.
Accredited Healthcare Chaplain, 2009.
Advanced Clinical Pastoral Education, 2014 & 2015
Clinical Pastoral Education Supervisor in Training (+2) 2015
Associate CPE Supervisor, 2016
Clinical Pastoral Education Supervisor (ACPE-Ireland Ltd) 2017
MTh 2017 Pontifical University, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth
Wider Professional Roles:
· Adjunct Lecturer, College of Medicine and Health, University College Cork
· Member of HSE Multifaith Healthcare Chaplaincy Advisory Council
· Member of HSE/RCPI National Neonatal Palliative Care Working Group
· Co-Chair, Spirituality Interest Group, Irish Association of Palliative Care
· Member of the Ethical Board of the Interational HiP Trial (Management of Hypotension In the Preterm Extremely Low Gestational Age Newborn)
· Member of the Ethical decision-making and palliative care framework –European Foundation for the Care of Newborn Infants
· Editor, Health and Social Care Chaplaincy https://journals.
PREGNANCY LOSS: A DISTURBING SILENCE AND THEOLOGICAL WILDERNESS. Modern Believing. 2019; 60 (2): 133-145Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K.
Cornally, N., Cagney, O., Burton, A., Coffey, A., Dalton, C., Hartigan, I., Harrison, J., Murphy, M. Nuzum, D., Pennisi, Y., Savage,
E., Sweeney, C., Timmons, S., Leahy Warren, P., & FitzGerald, S. Evaluation of the Irish Hospice Foundation Design & Dignity Programme. University College Cork, Cork. 2019.
Nuzum D, Murphy M. Palliative Care: a human right and moral imperative. The Furrow. 2018; 69(6): 323-332.
· Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K, Jackson M. Stillbirth suffering in Ireland: a theological reflection from healthcare chaplaincy. Practical theology. 2017; http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1756073X.2017.1296062
· Nuzum D, Keaney K, Skuse A. Healthcare chaplaincy: a contemporary Irish perspective. SEARCH. 2017;40(1):40-49.
· Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. Communication skills in obstetrics: what can we learn from bereaved parents? Irish Medical Journal. 2017; 110(2):512
· Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The Spiritual and Theological Challenges of Stillbirth for Bereaved Parents. J Relig Health. 2017; doi:10.1007/s10943-017-0365-5
· Contributer to: National Standards for Bereavement Care following Pregnancy Loss and Perinatal Death, HSE, Dublin, 2016. http://www.hse.ie/eng/about/Who/acute/bereavementcare/standardsBereavementCarePregnancyLoss.pdf
· Heazell AEP, Siassakos D, Blencowe H, Bhutta ZA, Cacciatore J, Dang N, Das J, Flenady V, Gold KJ, Mensah OK, Millum J, Nuzum D, O’Donoghue K, Redshaw M, Rizvi A, Roberts T, Saraki HET, Storey C, Wojcieszek AM, Downe S, Stillbirth Series Steering Group. Stillbirths: economic and psychosocial consequences. Lancet. 2016;387(10018):604-16.
· Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The theological and spiritual issues raised for healthcare chaplains following stillbirth. J Past Care Counsel. 2015;69(3) 163–170.
· Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The Place of Faith for Consultant Obstetricians Following Stillbirth: A Qualitative Exploratory Study. J Relig Health. 2016;55(5):1519-28.
· Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The provision of spiritual and pastoral care following stillbirth in Ireland: a mixed methods study. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2016;6(2):194-200.
· Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The impact of stillbirth on consultant obstetrician gynaecologists: a qualitative study. BJOG : an international journal of obstetrics and gynaecology. 2014;121(8):1020-8.
· ‘Giving voice to the story: working with patients who cannot speak’ in P Nash, P Bartel and S Nash (Eds) Paediatric Chaplaincy: Principles, Practices and Skills (Jessica Kingsley Publications, London, 2018)
· ‘The spiritual and theological challenges of stillbirth for bereaved parents’ in G Fitchett, K Whyte & K Lyndes (Eds) Evidence-based healthcare chaplaincy: A research reader (Jessica Kingsley Publications, Philadelphia, 2018.
Bandon Union (Curate Assistant) from 1999 – 2002
Incumbent, Templebreedy Group from 2002 – 2009
Healthcare Chaplain, Mercy University Hospital, Cork from 2009 – 2011