- Healthcare Chaplain Cork University Hospital and Bon Secours Hospital since 2009
- Healthcare Chaplain Marymount University Hospital and Hospice since 2011
- Rural Dean of Cork City since 2002
- Diocesan Ecumenical Officer since 2002
- Member of the Committee for Christian Unity and Dialogue since 1998
- Secretary of the Chaplaincy Accreditation Board www.cab.ireland.anglican.org
- Executive Committee of the Irish Council of Churches
- Chairperson, Church’s Ministry of Healing: Ireland
- Member of the CTBI Writers’ Group for the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
Telephone: (021) 454 6400 (ask for C of I Chaplain)
Email: click here
Ordained Deacon in the Church of St Peter, Bandon in 1999
Ordained Priest in St Fin Barre’s Cathedral, Cork in 2000
Education / Qualifications:
- Registered General Nurse, 1994
- The University of Dublin, Trinity College, B.Th, 1999
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) 2009
- Accredited Healthcare Chaplain, 2009.
- Advanced Clinical Pastoral Education, 2014 & 2015
- Clinical Pastoral Education Supervisor in Training (+2) 2015
- Ph.D., 2016
- Associate CPE Supervisor, 2016
- Clinical Pastoral Education Supervisor (ACPE-Ireland Ltd) 2017
- MTh 2017 Pontifical University, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth
Wider Professional Roles:
- Adjunct Lecturer, College of Medicine and Health, University College Cork
- Member of HSE Multi-faith Healthcare Chaplaincy Advisory Council
- Member of HSE/RCPI National Neonatal Palliative Care Working Group
- Co-Chair, Spirituality Interest Group, Irish Association of Palliative Care
- Member of the Ethical Board of the International HiP Trial (Management of Hypotension In the Preterm Extremely Low Gestational Age Newborn)
- Member of the Ethical decision-making and palliative care framework –European Foundation for the Care of Newborn Infants
- Editor, Health and Social Care Chaplaincy https://journals.
- Byrne M, Nuzum D, Pastoral closeness in physical distancing: The use of technology in pastoral ministry during COVID-19. Health and Social Care Chaplaincy. 2020; 8(2) https://doi.org/10.1558/hscc.41625
- Nuzum D, The COVID-19 Dilemma: how to maintain physical distance without sacrificing pastoral closeness. SEARCH. 2020;43(2):104-107
- Contributor to ‘COVID-19 infection Guidance for Maternity Services’, Institute of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, RCPI, Dublin 2020. https://hse.drsteevenslibrary.ie/ld.php?content_id=32845136
- Clyne B, O’Neill SM, Nuzum D, O’Neill M, Larkin J, Ryan M, Smith SM. Understanding patients’ perspectives of spirituality to inform care at the end of life: a qualitative evidence synthesis. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care. 2019. doi: 10.1136/bmjspcare-2019-002016
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. PREGNANCY LOSS: A DISTURBING SILENCE AND THEOLOGICAL WILDERNESS. Modern Believing. 2019; 60 (2): 133-145
- Cornally, N., Cagney, O., Burton, A., Coffey, A., Dalton, C., Hartigan, I., Harrison, J., Murphy, M. Nuzum, D., Pennisi, Y., Savage, E., Sweeney, C., Timmons, S., Leahy Warren, P., & FitzGerald, S. Evaluation of the Irish Hospice Foundation Design & Dignity Programme. University College Cork, Cork. 2019.
- Rice R, Nuzum D, O’Connell O, O’Donoghue K. Parents and clinicians: partners in perinatal bereavement research –experiences from the International Stillbirth Alliance Conference 2017. Research Involvement and Engagement. 2019; 5:4. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40900-018-0137-8
- Latour JM, Greisen G, Verhaest Y, Alfonso E, Bucher HU, Caeymaex L, Cuttini M, Embleton N, Novak M, Nuzum D, Peters J, Rombo K, Wood D. Ethical Decision-making & Palliative care, European standards of care for newborn health. Munich, 2018.
- Nuzum D, Murphy M. Palliative Care: a human right and moral imperative. The Furrow. 2018; 69(6): 323-332
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K (2018) The impact of stillbirth on bereaved parents: A qualitative study. PLoS ONE 13(1): e0191635. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0191635
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The public awareness of stillbirth: an Irish population study. BJOG: an international journal of obstetrics and gynaecology. 2018; 125:246–252.
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K, Jackson M. Stillbirth suffering in Ireland: a theological reflection from healthcare chaplaincy. Practical theology. 2017; http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1756073X.2017.1296062
- Nuzum D, Keaney K, Skuse A. Healthcare chaplaincy: a contemporary Irish perspective. SEARCH. 2017;40(1):40-49.
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. Communication skills in obstetrics: what can we learn from bereaved parents? Irish Medical Journal. 2017; 110(2):512
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The Spiritual and Theological Challenges of Stillbirth for Bereaved Parents. J Relig Health. 2017; doi:10.1007/s10943-017-0365-5
- Contributer to: National Standards for Bereavement Care following Pregnancy Loss and Perinatal Death, HSE, Dublin, 2016. http://www.hse.ie/eng/about/Who/acute/bereavementcare/standardsBereavementCarePregnancyLoss.pdf
- Heazell AEP, Siassakos D, Blencowe H, Bhutta ZA, Cacciatore J, Dang N, Das J, Flenady V, Gold KJ, Mensah OK, Millum J, Nuzum D, O’Donoghue K, Redshaw M, Rizvi A, Roberts T, Saraki HET, Storey C, Wojcieszek AM, Downe S, Stillbirth Series Steering Group. Stillbirths: economic and psychosocial consequences. Lancet. 2016;387(10018):604-16.
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The theological and spiritual issues raised for healthcare chaplains following stillbirth. J Past Care Counsel. 2015;69(3) 163–170.
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The Place of Faith for Consultant Obstetricians Following Stillbirth: A Qualitative Exploratory Study. J Relig Health. 2016;55(5):1519-28.
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The provision of spiritual and pastoral care following stillbirth in Ireland: a mixed methods study. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2016;6(2):194-200.
- Nuzum D, Meaney S, O’Donoghue K. The impact of stillbirth on consultant obstetrician gynaecologists: a qualitative study. BJOG : an international journal of obstetrics and gynaecology. 2014;121(8):1020-8.
- ‘Experience of spiritual distress in an acute setting: Living with perinatal loss’, in E Kelly & J Swinton (Eds) Chaplaincy and the soul of health and social care: Fostering spiritual wellbeing in emerging paradigms of care, Jessica Kingsley Publications, London, 2020.
- ‘Pastoral Care’ in K Milne & P Harron (Eds) Irish Anglicanism 1969-2019, Four Courts Press, Dublin, 2019.
- ‘The spiritual and theological challenges of stillbirth for bereaved parents’ in G Fitchett, K Whyte & K Lyndes (Eds) Evidence-based healthcare chaplaincy: A research reader (Jessica Kingsley Publications, Philadelphia, 2018.
- ‘Giving voice to the story: working with patients who cannot speak’ in P Nash, P Bartel and S Nash (Eds) Paediatric Chaplaincy: Principles, Practices and Skills (Jessica Kingsley Publications, London, 2018)
- Bandon Union (Curate Assistant) from 1999 – 2002
- Incumbent, Templebreedy Group from 2002 – 2009
- Healthcare Chaplain, Mercy University Hospital, Cork from 2009 – 2011